In Victoria, the primary legislation affecting planning and development is the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic). Further, there are many regulations that govern planning and development, requiring permits, licenses and other such compliance matters.

At Armstrong Lawyers, we provide a full range of planning and development services to clients including property developers and landlords.

Legal Services for planning and development

Advice and assistance

Armstrong Lawyers are well placed to advise you in relation to:

  • council planning schemes;
  • zoning, planning and building permits;
  • liquor licenses;
  • applications and urgent injunctions;
  • subdividing your property;
  • environmental planning and compliance;
  • heritage law;
  • the creation, variation or removal or easements;
  • your rights and obligations under Section 173 Agreements;
  • formation of owners corporations;
  • negotiating, preparing and reviewing building contracts;
  • providing practical guidance throughout the process;
  • vendor representations to purchasers;
  • alleged offences and infringements; and
  • payments of the Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution (GAIC).

Easements and Restrictive Covenants

Advice and assistance

A developer may discover that their property is subject to certain easements like a right of way or restrictive covenants like a prohibited land use. Alternatively, the developer might wish to create such an easement or covenant for the benefit of the future property owners.

Armstrong Lawyers are experienced in providing property developers with advice on:

  • the rights and obligations under any easements or restrictive covenants; and
  • the creation, variation, registration, enforcement or removal of any easements or restrictive covenants.

Free initial advice

For obligation free, no cost initial legal advice:
– call us on 134 134; or
– email us at


Click here to find answers to frequently asked questions in respect of Planning & Development.