Legal Services for Franchisees
Review Franchise Agreements and Disclosure Documents
Armstrong Lawyers can assess a proposed franchise offer by advising you in respect of the franchise documents provided to you by the Franchisor.
We assist you through the acquisition process and ensure that:
- You are well informed about the proposed terms of the franchise including your and the Franchisor’s obligations;
- You are aware of the various legal and business risks; and
- You are equipped to negotiate and secure the best possible outcome.
Lease of Premises
In most cases, the lease of premises from which the Franchisee intends to run its business will be retail premises within the meaning of the Retail Leases Act 2003. The Act provides protection to tenants of retail premises, including those located within shopping centres. Although the Act provides some protection to retail tenants, negotiation of the terms of the lease may be crucial to the profitability of the franchise, and the value of the franchise for resale purposes.
Armstrong Lawyers will ensure that your interests and your investment in the franchise is protected by advising you and negotiating on your behalf to secure lease terms that will be essential for your success.
Selling a franchise and other legal services
Armstrong Lawyers provide practical legal advice to franchisees in relation to selling your franchise business including:
- Drafting a contract of sale of business;
- Liaising with the Franchisor and obtaining the Franchisor’s consent; and
- Arranging the assignment of lease.
Sometimes a Franchisee’s business can become complex in its own right. We can assist larger sized and multiple franchise owners by:
- Expanding to a multi-unit Franchisee;
- Investing in other franchises;
- Negotiating terms of renewal of your Franchise Agreement;
- Dealing with a Franchisor’s take-over or buy-back of your franchise business; and
- Negotiating a lease renewal pursuant to the Retail Leases Act 2003.